Laser dentistry is a precise and effective way to perform many dental procedures. It allows your dentist at Park Smiles NYC to provide treatment of a highly specific area of focus without damaging surrounding tissues. For patients who are somewhat anxious, laser dentistry also provides minimal pain and recovery time!
The Two Options and
Hard Tissue (tooth) procedures using laser technology:
- Cavity detection: Low intensity soft tissue dental lasers can be used for the early detection of cavities.
- Dental fillings/tooth preparation: Hard tissue dental lasers often eliminate the need for local anesthetic injection and the traditional dental drill.
- Treating tooth sensitivity: Dental lasers are used to seal tubules (located on the root of the tooth) that are responsible for hot and cold tooth sensitivity.
Soft Tissue (gum) procedures using laser technology:
- Frenectomy: A laser frenectomy is an ideal treatment option for children who are tongue-tied (restricted or tight frenulum) and babies unable to breast feed adequately due to limited tongue movement. A laser frenectomy may also help to eliminate speech impediments. This procedure is often done without local anesthetic, while the patient is awake.
- Crown lengthening: Dental lasers can reshape gum tissue and bone to expose healthier tooth structure. Known as crown lengthening, the reshaping provides a stronger foundation for the placement of restorations.
- Gummy smile: Dental lasers can reshape gum tissue to expose healthy tooth structure and improve the appearance of a gummy smile.
- Soft tissue folds: Lasers can also be used for the painless and suture-free removal of soft tissue folds often caused by ill-fitting dentures.
Benefits of Laser Dentistry:
Procedures performed using soft tissue dental lasers may not require sutures (stitches)
Certain procedures with laser dentistry don’t require anesthesia.
Bacterial infections are minimized because the high-energy beam sterilizes the area being worked on.
Minimizes bleeding due to the high-energy light beam that aids in the clotting (coagulation) of exposed blood vessels.
Damage to the surrounding tissue is minimized.
Wounds heal faster and tissues can be regenerated.
Allows dentists to perform a wide variety of dental procedures they otherwise may not be capable of performing under local anesthesia.
Minimizes pain and recovery time.
- Benign tumors: Dental lasers can be used for the painless and suture-free removal of benign tumors from the gums, palate, and sides of cheeks and lips.
- Snoring & sleep apnea: In cases where sleep apnea is a result of tissue overgrowth in areas of the throat (sometimes due to age), a laser-assisted procedure can be performed to reshape the throat and relieve the correlating breathing problems associated with sleep apnea and snoring.
- Teeth whitening: Low intensity soft dental tissue lasers may be used to speed up the bleaching process in teeth whitening.
- TMJ treatment: Dental lasers may also be used to quickly reduce pain and inflammation of the temporomandibular jaw joint.
PARK SMILES NYC
Creating world-class smiles with a universal approach to empathetic dental care