Root Planing and Scaling
If you suffer from gum disease, root planing and scaling is an effective treatment option we offer at Park Smiles NYC. Root planing and scaling is used to deep clean the teeth down to the roots beneath the gum line. It can prevent gum disease from leading to major dental problems and prevent the need for more costly dental work.
Benefits of Root Planing and Scaling
- Stop gum disease: Root planing and scaling is highly effective at treating gum disease and can help get your gum health back on track.
- Prevents tooth loss: Large pockets between the teeth and gums along with infection and decay around the tooth roots can lead to tooth loss. Root planing and scaling can stop these problems before they result in tooth loss.
- Prevents tooth decay: Root planing and scaling removes plaque and tartar build-up, preventing tooth decay and periodontal pockets.
- Protects the tooth’s roots: The procedure can protect the roots of your teeth when harmful plaque and bacteria begin to build up below the gum line.
- Can eliminate bad breath associated with gum disease: Gum disease and other oral health problems like tooth decay can cause chronic bad breath. By treating gum disease, root planing and scaling can help improve bad breath.
The root planing and scaling procedure begins with the numbing of the gums to ensure that you’re comfortable during treatment. Once the gums are numb, special scraping tools are used to gently remove calcified tartar and other debris from the teeth, both at and below the gum line. An ultrasonic tool may be used to remove large pieces of debris while a metal dental scraping tool is used to finely detail and clean the teeth. As the debris is removed, a water irrigation system is used to wash away debris and a suction tool is used to remove water and saliva. In cases where large pockets have developed, antibiotic fibers may be placed to prevent infection as the gums heal and the pockets close. After a week or so, the fibers will be removed.